University College and Extension Schools
During these years of rapid enrollment, adult education and off-site branches of Syracuse University were vital in providing a college education to veterans who worked full-time jobs or could not come to Syracuse. The University’s adult education services dated back to 1918. In 1946 Syracuse expanded those services when it reorganized the School of Extension into University College (now the College of Professional Studies) to better serve working, part-time students. Utica College, a two-year branch college, was established that same year with an initial enrollment of 500 students, 95% of whom were veterans. Triple Cities College (now SUNY Binghamton) in Endicott averaged 1,000 students, many of them veterans. This period also saw the founding of several other extension units in Albany, Gloversville, Rome, and Auburn, as well as a summer art school and adult education center at Pinebrook, in the Adirondacks.
In 1946 Syracuse University purchased the Bowes Residence, known as “The Colonial,” in Endicott to serve as the administration building of Triple Cities College. Later that year temporary classrooms were added, depicted here on the yearbook’s endpaper.
Formerly Syracuse University’s College of Medicine, 60 East Fayette Street became the University College building in 1947 and was later named Peck Hall.